The Digital Europe Programme (DIGITAL) is the first financial instrument of the EU focused on bringing digital technology to businesses and citizens
The Programme has the aim to fill the gap between the research of digital technologies and their deployment, and to bring the results of research to the market – for the benefit of Europe’s citizens and businesses, and in particular SMEs. Investments under the Digital Europe programme supports the Union’s twin objectives of a green transition and digital transformation and strengthens the Union’s resilience and strategic autonomy. The Programme is a part of the next long-term EU budget, (the Multiannual Financial Framework), and it covers 2021 to 2027. The budget destinated to this program is for amount of Worth €7.6 billion (in current prices) will provide funding for projects in five areas:
- supercomputing (€2.2 BILLION) to build with the aim of increasing accessibility and broaden the use of supercomputing in areas of public interest such as health, environment and security, and in industry, including small and medium-sized enterprises.
- artificial intelligence (€2.1 BILLION ) to: Invest in and open up the use of artificial intelligence by businesses and public administrations. Strengthen and support existing artificial intelligence testing and experimentation facilities in areas such as health and mobility in Member States and encourage their cooperation.
- cybersecurity ( €1.6 BILLION) for strengthening cybersecurity coordination between Member States tools and data infrastructures. Support the wide deployment of the cybersecurity capacities across the economy.
- advanced digital skills (€580 MILLION ) to support the design and delivery of specialized programmes and traineeships for the future experts in key capacity areas like data and AI, cybersecurity, quantum and HPC.
- ensuring the wide use of digital technologies across the economy and society in key capacity areas (€1.1 BILLION) to support high impact deployments in areas of public interest, such as health (complemented by EU4Health programme), Green Deal, smart communities and the cultural sector.
Source : https://digital-strategy.ec.europa.eu/en/activities/digital-programme
Image : copyright European Commission